Estonian Model United Nations
What is Model United Nations?
Model United Nations is an educational role play that allows participants to learn about UN decision-making process through personal experience. Such simulations are being organized around the world for high school or university students. Different MUNs add specific features to a traditional format to meet their participants’ skill level and interests. NGO Mondo together with EstMUN volunteers organize a model called Estonian Model United Nations (short: EstMUN).
What events are planned for the nearest future?
What makes EstMUN special?
- Estonian Model United Nations (short: EstMUN) is an entry-level educational simulation so a lot of effort is put into explaining the format and supporting a first-time MUNer
- expected participants are high school students aged 15-19 and teachers as observers;
- our conference is international and thus its complete programme is in English;
- the programme takes place in the framework of UNESCO ASPnet activities in Estonia and thus has acclaim with Estonian National Commission for UNESCO, Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and The Ministry of Education and Research and is free of charge for the participants;
- EstMUN young volunteers that are leading the preparation process and work in committees and during the General Assembly have international experience in MUN starting from early age;
- at the end of each conference, best delegates and journalists are being awarded with certificates in different categories;
- our team is fond of experimenting with new formats of formal and social activities, so it is never boring!
What events happen in the framework of the EstMUN programme?
The programm of EstMUN can be divided into two separate stages: the preparational work and attending the EstMUN conference. Depending on the focal topics, funding and other circumstances, the programme might vary from year to year, but generally the programme consists of the following events.
- announcing the topics and opening application to the international EstMUN conference
- thematical seminars aiming to help the students to gather background knowledge and vocabulary needed to discuss topics at EstMUN, and also meet with experts in specific field of knowledge
- regional mini models in UNESCO ASPnet schools that give possibility for the students to meet with the diplomatical vocabulary and rules in a non-formal setting
- announcing the lists of committees and countries to be presented during EstMUN
- independent preparation of the roles (including written assignment) by the participants
Attending the EstMUN conference:
NB! This is an approximate agenda of EstMUN that may differ each year
- Day I
- The chosen participants, their mentors and organizers gather in one hall to be greeted, logistical information is shared, welcome speeches are being made and the conference is opened;
- The General Secretary revises the rules of procedure with the participants by playing them out and mentioning the most important ones;
- participants and organizers go into their roles, the delegates make their opening speeches and the
- General Secretary announces the topics of the conference;
delegates spread into their committees and meet with their chairs.
- Day II and III
- delegates are working in committees where positions of countries are being discussed and debated, together they write resolutions;
- communication between delegates and the media happens in different formats – interviews, talk shows, media observing the committees and writing articles;
- social activities take place during the evenings.
- Day IV
- the day begins with a press conference at the main hall;
- committees introduce their resolutions at the General Assembly and they are voted for;
- the best delegates and journalists are announced and the conference is officially closed.
Where can I find out more about Estonian Model United Nations?
- In case of questions please contact UNESCO ASPnet Coordinator in Estonia: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read more from the Model United Nations Handbook for students and teachers.
- Watch tutorial videos and recordings of past EstMUN events in Maailmakool Youtube channel to get a better picture of EstMUN format and topics.